Dollarmakers.com BLOG

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Who Stands Out?

When you look back on your week, which people stand out in your memory? I just completed a seven day speaking and training tour to Ontario, interspersed with meetings, during which I spoke to hundreds of people. As the aircraft was descending back home in Vancouver, I thought of the people who had made a strong impression on me. I came up with sixteen out of hundreds. I could see their faces clearly in my mind. With the exception of one, who was an unhappy, negative type, they all shared the same characteristic that earned them a special place in my head and heart. I added one yesterday, even though I was already home.

From Patsy, a sixty-something waitress at one of the hotels I stayed at, to Edeltraud, an Austrian exchange student on an aircraft, to Jennifer, my publicist who put the whole tour together and made it all work, Jerry, a highly successful businessman who attended every event in Toronto, and Winston, who went the extra 1000 miles as always, they all shared this characteristic. They stake a claim in your heart that earns them special priority. What is it that these people from such diverse backgrounds do, that sets them apart from thousands of others? How do they manage to get and keep your attention and loyalty?

I think real life examples will clarify my point, so here goes. Joan quietly greases the wheels, spending her own money, caring about everybody and everything, with humility and purpose. Although she is very successful, she understands the big picture and is always there for you. Shawn is constantly checking how he can produce a better video, add value, and make it easier for me to work. Richard is a generous, professional, friendly man who makes friends with everyone and brings light into the darkest room. Brenda is always seeking to direct others to their goals, helping them, encouraging them and gently pushing them. And Andrew gives you the distinct impression that he will have your back in any situation. Perceptive, attentive and sensitive to my needs and the situation. I could go on, but you get my drift?

These people are naturally caring and giving people. They understand at a cellular level that “what goes around, comes around”, but that is not their motive. They just care. They like people. They want to help. They are secure and comfortable with themselves. They have high self-esteem that allows them to put their egos on hold. They don’t manipulate others or sacrifice themselves like some altruist or mystic – don’t misunderstand me – they just care about others and it soon becomes abundantly clear that their motive is pure. They’re the Eagles in my life, and I am so grateful to meet and know these wonderful people who are salving balm for the cynicism, greed and dishonesty that is so abundant these days. And they are the type of people who join the DollarMakers Joint Venture Forum. Thank you for being in my life, even if it’s only to point out the raccoon in the garden or ask me if I’m thirsty. You’re Eagles!
Robin J. Elliott www.DollarMakers.net